ago861 days ago
Although our office base is Cosham, this is an opportunity for IOW residence to support vulnerable young people on the island.
• Are you supportive, patient, focused and committed to supporting people who are looking for work or apprenticeships or in a job?
• We have an exciting opportunity for volunteers with world of work experience who want to help those who want to get a job or apprenticeship.
A forward-looking social business, Catch22 has more than 200 years’ experience of providing services that help people turn their lives around.
Catch22 Apprenticeships and Employability (AE) delivers high quality and responsive apprenticeships and employability programmes that are relevant to the needs and aspirations of learners and job seekers, and that fulfil the requirements of organisations today and in the future.
What will I be doing in this role?
Our dedicated volunteer mentors/coaches will meet with one of our vulnerable learners who may need additional support in sustaining a job or apprenticeship opportunity and advice in succeeding in the world of work. Some of these clients will be young people who have been unemployed or have no previous work experience
We will require our mentors/coaches to:
• Enable learners/clients to access the right networks to impress employers so that they get a job or apprenticeship.
• Impart useful insights and knowledge about succeeding in the world of work.
• Get learners/clients ready for interviews so that they are more able to get job offers.
• Develop the mindset qualities and core skills in the learners/clients so that they succeed in the world of work.
• Support the learners/clients to remain in their jobs for at least six months.
We aim for all our volunteer mentors/coaches to be matched with a learner/client based on mutual interest and personality and to ensure that a strong mentor relationship is built on trust.
What skills do I need for this role?
You will need to have the following qualities:
• In work or have had a career and knowledgeable about the world of work
• Friendly and approachable
• Reliable and patient
• Interested in others
• Able to use initiative and work autonomously
• Good at listening and communicating
• Be a positive role model
We will need to obtain two written references and a completed Enhanced Disclosure and Barring service (DBS) for this role.
What can I expect from Catch22?
You will get the opportunity to further your volunteering skills, experience and knowledge.
All our mentors will receive full training, induction and regular supervisions from our Volunteer/ Mentor Coordinator.
How often would I need to be available?
To meet clients/learners for approximately 1-6 hours per week face to face for three to six months.
Closing date: 29th November 2015
This opportunity is for residents of IOW to support our clients on the island. Access to a car and willingness to travel around the island would be desirable but not essential.